20405Re: Journey to the Sea #9 -- Mythical Thinking

  • Sara Ciborski
    Mar 5, 2009
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "hoytrand" <randy@...> wrote:

      > More interesting, I think, is an article contrasting mythical thinking and logical thinking (*mythos* and *logos*).

      Granting your right to set up a contrast for the purposes of your article, I would like to point out that in ancient Greek the word Logos, which you say means "account," had many meanings and carried all of them at once: word, power of the word, meaning, capacity for meaning, understanding, power of understanding, reason, source of all meaning, language, utterance. Logos in this sense is primary, fundamental to all communication, and thus mythical thinking, as you describe it in your article, depends on or arises from Logos. There is logic (in this fundamental sense) in any myth or fantasy or work of art--otherwise it wouldn't speak to us, wouldn't be meaningful. What you call logical thinking in your article perhaps might rather be termed materialistic thinking (expressing a dualistic world view). But again, the contrast you set up is important and it is of course legitimate for you to define your own terms.

      Sara Ciborski

      > --------

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic