20403Journey to the Sea #9 -- Mythical Thinking

  • hoytrand
    Mar 4, 2009
      I have published the ninth issue of my online myth magazine Journey
      to the Sea [http://journeytothesea.com/%5d. This issue includes an
      article on Doris Lessing, who came up recently in a discussion about Charles Williams.

      More interesting, I think, is an article contrasting mythical thinking and logical thinking (*mythos* and *logos*). I would love to hear the thoughts of others on this list about mythical thinking: what value (if any) you've found in mythical thinking? How did you came to embrace mythical thinking in the midst of such a logic-heavy cultural? How do you think we can best integrate mythical and logical thinking today?

      Enjoy!
      ~Randy

      --------

      Mythos & Logos: Two Ways of Explaining the World
      http://journeytothesea.com/mythos-logos/
      ----
      We humans beings have used both mythical thinking and logical thinking to explain the world around us. Distinguishing between these can help us understand mythic narratives, both ancient and modern.

      Biblical Narratives in Doris Lessing's Shikasta
      http://journeytothesea.com/lessing-shikasta/
      ----
      Randy examines Doris Lessing's use of material from Genesis in her science-fiction novel Shikasta, arguing that Lessing is a strong advocate for the potential for the products of mythical thinking to address problems in the modern world.

      Life of Aesop: The Wise Fool and the Philosopher
      http://journeytothesea.com/aesop-wise-fool/
      ----
      Laura explores three anecdotes from the legendary Life of Aesop, showing Aesop outwitting his rivals. Aesop used logical thinking and mythical thinking to provide comic relief and surprising insight into the nature of the world.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic