      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      David Bratman
      Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 10:14 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Number of Tolkien fans worldwide?

      What are you considering to be a Tolkien fan? Someone who's read the book?
      For the films, someone who's seen them? That's excessively generous. Or,
      someone who's joined a Tolkien organization? That's probably excessively
      small.

      Number of copies sold can be suggestive, if only by saying, "Well, a lot of
      people must like it." But I own more than a few books of which I'd be irked
      to have it considered that I'm a fan of the author. On the other side, I own
      nine copies of The Lord of the Rings. (And I'm surprised to find that it's
      so few: others on this list have a heck of a lot more than that.) Does that
      make me nine Tolkien fans?