20332Re: [mythsoc] Number of Tolkien fans worldwide?

    Feb 14, 2009
      What are you considering to be a Tolkien fan? Someone who's read the book? For the films, someone who's seen them? That's excessively generous. Or, someone who's joined a Tolkien organization? That's probably excessively small.

      Number of copies sold can be suggestive, if only by saying, "Well, a lot of people must like it." But I own more than a few books of which I'd be irked to have it considered that I'm a fan of the author. On the other side, I own nine copies of The Lord of the Rings. (And I'm surprised to find that it's so few: others on this list have a heck of a lot more than that.) Does that make me nine Tolkien fans?