203Re: The How and Why of Bakshi's LotR film

  • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
    Jun 16, 1999
      In a message dated 6/16/99 10:25:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

      > In any case it's somewhat telling that neither Rankin/Bass video is
      commercially
      > available in the U.K., where Tolkien's copyrights have never been in
      question.

      Almost 10 years ago, I asked Rayner Unwin (Tolkien's publisher) about the
      status of the Rankin/Bass movie _The Return of the King_. He said that
      originally it was not authorized, but that at some point Rankin/Bass and the
      Tolkien estate came to an agreement. Perhaps neither wanted to fight it out
      in court. Apparently the agreement was that Rankin/Bass would pay the estate
      some appropriate amount and that the film would only be available in the U.S.