20183Re: re. Star over Mordor

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Nov 13, 2008
      In a funny little piece of self-foot-shooting, I failed to post this
      to the list yesterday:

      Not to answer for John, but don't you think that's a fairly human
      response? In a time of trouble and uncertainty to look up and see the
      stars as timeless (well, *more* timeless than we are) and therefore a
      sign of hope, of endurance?

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

      > John D. Rateliff wrote:
      >
      > > Another strong parallel, and possible direct inspiration, for Sam's
      > > seeing the Star over Mordor comes in Charlie Chaplin's THE GREAT
      > > DICTATOR [1940], which includes a scene in which the barber (Chaplin)
      > > and the girl hide on a roof top from storm troopers, see a star in
      > > the sky high above, and think about how its permanence and purity
      > > will outlast even Hitler's reich. Unfortunately, it's been too long
      > > since I've seen the film to be able to give any details.
      >
      > John, I'm curious to know whether you are basing your supposition
      that this scene in that classic film might have been a direct
      inspiration for Tolkien's writing that sequence purely on the extreme
      similarlity between the two scenes, or whether you have any indication
      that Tolkien actually saw/was impressed by the film?