20182Re: [mythsoc] PERILOUS REALMS

  • John D Rateliff
    Nov 12, 2008
      Hi Matt
      I'm not overly fond of the Rob Inglis performance, which I find a
      little flat, but since it's the only unabridged recording of LotR
      there is, I'm grateful to have it (though I keep hoping someone else
      who sounds more like Christopher Tolkien or JRRT will re-record it).
      I rate the Martin Shaw SILMARILLION pretty highly.
      Does anyone here know if OFS, LBN, FGH, ATB, or THE MONSTERS AND
      THE CRITICS have ever been recorded as audiobooks (that is, straight
      readings as opposed to dramatizations)? It's kind of odd that you can
      get ROVERANDOM, LETTERS FROM FATHER CHRISTMAS, and Tolkien's
      translations of SGGK, SIR ORFEO, and PEARL but not those old favorites.
      I imagine a fair number of people on this list have read at least
      some of THE KALEVALA (e.g., the Kullervo section), or at least
      Hiawatha. I struggled with the old Kirby translation but at some
      point will pick up the Magoun and give it another try. Though I must
      admit I find THE MABINOGION more congenial than the Finnish myths.

      --John in Seattle (Kent, actually)

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic