      From: John D Rateliff
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 10:13 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] PERILOUS REALMS

      Hi Matt
      Actually, the audiobook called "TALES FROM THE PERILOUS REALM",
      which I have on two cassettes, is entirely distinct from the new Alan
      Lee illustrated book, although they share a title and most of the
      contents overlap. The full-cast audio adaptations, which are rather
      fun if not outstanding, were done back in 1993 from scripts by Brian
      Sibley. I think it's mainly notable for containing what could be
      thought of as an extended "out-take" from the 1981 BBC LotR
      adaptation, since the piece here called "The Adventures of Tom
      Bombadil" is not in fact a reading of the poems but instead the
      Bombadil chapters from LotR done in a style whereby they could have
      been inserted as an extra episode or two of the radio series.
      I suppose it's time I started replacing all my Tolkien on Tape
      with Tolkien on cd. Bother. Thanks for reminding us about the
      dramatizations.
      Yrs,
      John in Seattle