20177Re: [mythsoc] re. Star over Mordor

  • Doug Kane
    Nov 12 2:37 PM
      John D. Rateliff wrote:

      > Another strong parallel, and possible direct inspiration, for Sam's
      > seeing the Star over Mordor comes in Charlie Chaplin's THE GREAT
      > DICTATOR [1940], which includes a scene in which the barber (Chaplin)
      > and the girl hide on a roof top from storm troopers, see a star in
      > the sky high above, and think about how its permanence and purity
      > will outlast even Hitler's reich. Unfortunately, it's been too long
      > since I've seen the film to be able to give any details.

      John, I'm curious to know whether you are basing your supposition that this scene in that classic film might have been a direct inspiration for Tolkien's writing that sequence purely on the extreme similarlity between the two scenes, or whether you have any indication that Tolkien actually saw/was impressed by the film?

      Doug