20160Mystical Realms Newsletter for November, 2008

  • jef.murray
    Nov 3, 2008
      Greetings!

      Welcome to my newsletter for November, 2008! Please feel free to
      forward this to anyone you think would be interested in keeping up
      with me. To receive these newsletters regularly, please drop me an
      email or subscribe online from my website (http://www.JefMurray.com )
      or at:
      http://groups.google.com/group/Mystical_Realms . Notices of events are
      at the bottom of this email.

      Pitchers ===============
      There are 5 new paintings posted on my website, including one
      religious work, "Pilot", and four Tolkien-themed paintings; "Ascent",
      "Sam & Rosie", "Lightning on Weathertop", and "Enthouse". You can see
      all of these by clicking:
      http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jmurra2/jefmurraystudios/new.html
      I welcome your thoughts and comments on these new pieces!

      Ponderings ==============

      Troubled times are coming. Just as Treebeard saw his world change, so
      are we about to see ours.

      Right now, just before the elections in the USA, I see so many who are
      afraid. The old bylaws are broken: banks are going bust, world markets
      are whiplashed. Enormous crowds gather, hypnotized, hoping that a new
      leader will bolster balance sheets and forestall foreclosures.

      You can feel it in the earth; you can feel it in the water; you can
      smell it in the air.

      Bad times are not new. And elections will not change them. The fruits
      of foolishness must be born, and in a few years, the messiah elected
      today will be the ousted and disgraced demagogue of tomorrow. This is
      the nature of idol worship…what was once thought divine becomes
      despicable. Hell hath no fury….

      But, the flip side of the impotence of the elected is that we can all
      see where the real power lies, and that is with God and with each other.

      The last long lesson of lack was taught to us in the 1970s, when I was
      in high school. Then there was no such thing as a personal computer,
      few folk had color TVs, and most new cars were compacts because of
      skyrocketing oil prices.

      My family lived in the country, and since we were only able to pick up
      a couple of TV stations, we had to make a lot of our own
      entertainment. We read a lot, but we also gardened, raised dogs and
      rabbits, collected eggs from the wild chickens that ran in the
      pastures. We hunted and fished. We wrote stories and drew comics. We
      gathered muscadines to make jelly, and I tried my hand at making peach
      wine from the syrup my stepfather brought back from the school
      lunchroom. This latter attempt ended in a spectacular explosion, and
      my childhood bedroom to this day smells like fermented peaches when
      the weather turns wet.

      But what I learned during the stag-flated seventies was that it was
      always more fun to _create_ than to _consume_, to ponder than to be
      pandered to. It was always more exciting to _give_ than to _get_. But
      from 1982 on, all the world seems to have forgotten these things. All
      the world now worships the idol of consumerism, and that idol, like
      the idol of the messianic politician, will fall.

      The best and most important things in life do not require credit
      cards. They do not require big brazen bureaucracies and multi-billion
      dollar bailouts. They do not require the clever counsel of a new
      commander-in-chief.

      The best and most important things in life are love of God and love of
      neighbor. And as the world changes and our credit cards are cancelled,
      we may find ourselves rediscovering both. We may learn how to once
      again trust in God to help us through the rough spots. We may learn
      how satisfying it can be to care for friends and family. We may learn
      how interesting our neighbors are once layoffs or the need to mow our
      own grass gives us the time and opportunity to get to know them.

      We may, as a result of these changing times, rediscover what Frank
      Capra and Angelo Pellegrini once taught us: that lean years can be our
      happiest years, and that bad times can sift souls and feed one's faith.

      The world is changed. The next president will disappoint and
      disillusion those who worship him now, as all false idols do. And the
      pain of lost homes and layoffs will certainly be real. But we will be
      the ones who decide whether these pangs are harbingers of havoc or of
      healing; of ruin or of rebirth.

      May God bless you and yours in the lean and happy years ahead….

      Jef

      Prospects ===================

      - The Northeast Tolkien Society (NETS) folk have announced the
      availability of their 2009 Tolkien calendar. This year, I was asked to
      contribute the cover design and B&W sketches for all of the interior
      calendar pages. The other images used in this year's calendar are from
      Catherine Karina Chmiel and Colin Williams, both of whom are gifted
      artists whose work deserves greater exposure. You can order the 2009
      calendar at
      http://www.herenistarion.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=4&id=51&Itemid=57
      .

      - A recent book cover design project has finally come to fruition.
      Visionary, a suspense novel by Michael Hallman, has just been released
      by Tumblar House (http://www.tumblarhouse.com/visionary.php ). I was
      privileged to have been given the opportunity not only to read this
      intriguing mystery before publication, but to design the cover for it.
      Tumblar House is making a name for itself by publishing books by
      Catholic and orthodox Christian authors that might otherwise be
      rejected by secular publishing houses because of their religious
      content. Please check them out!

      - The good folks who brought us A Long Expected Party in Kentucky have
      just announced the availability of souvenirs from the event that
      include the use of four of my painting images (The Road Goes Ever On,
      Outlandish Folk, Many Paths to Tread, and The Party Tree). Mugs,
      steins, T-shirts, etc. can all be viewed and ordered by clicking on
      the following links:
      http://www.whitelinescreenprinting.com/Pages/ALEP/Souvenirs.pdf
      http://www.whitelinescreenprinting.com/Pages/ALEP/Souvenirs_OrderForm.xls

      - John Ottinger is a very gifted blogger and reviewer of sci fi and
      fantasy books. He and I met at this year's Dragon*Con, where he asked
      me for an interview for his online blog, "Grasping for the Wind". You
      can read the results at:
      http://otter.covblogs.com/archives/2008/10/full-color-tolkien-an-interview-with-jef-murray.html
      .

      - ADC Books now has an online catalog featuring Tolkien-themed
      original paintings and prints from Ted Nasmith, Ruth Lacon, Peter
      Pracownik, and myself. In addition, you'll find collectible items and
      rare books featured in the ADC Books catalog. Please take a look at
      www.adcbooks.co.uk.