20081Re: Tolkien cartoon

  • hoytrand
    Sep 17, 2008
      I feel that it is worth mentioning that publishing work posthumously
      (especially work that an author did not feel was fit for publication)
      is a seriously problematic endeavor. I don't just mean that it is
      difficult: there are very good objections *against* doing it at all.
      If I remember correctly, Christopher Tolkien later decided that
      publishing *The Silmarillion* in the form he did (without any frame)
      was not the right thing to do.

      Don't get me wrong; I am *very* grateful for what he has done. I fully
      admit that the cartoons most likely originated in an inappropriate
      ignorance and disrespect towards Christopher Tolkien's work. But maybe
      -- just maybe -- the cartoonist is much more thoughtful about the
      situation and cognizant of the fundamental problems inherent in this
      type of project. Even if not, I think the cartoons could provide a
      good opportunity for us to have a thoughtful discussion about those
      problems.

      Thanks,
      ~randy

      (This is my first post to the list, so please don't lambast me! Though
      I admit I got my flame-shield out of the cellar before writing this. :~)
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic