20077Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien cartoons

  • Larry Swain
    Sep 16, 2008

      > Well, I think people should just relax and let other people have
      > their fun. I think that HME is wonderful, and even significant in
      > ways that have application beyond Tolkien studies. But, I can also
      > see another side. In some respects the whole enterprise is overdoing
      > things to an absurd degree, and I think sometimes we need to laugh at
      > ourselves.

      The irony is that part of Tolkien's fiction is that he, the author, pretends to be a scholar of the Redbook of Westmarch offering us a translation of the same with notes and commentary at the end: i. e. doing in fiction what he did as a professional. Christopher Tolkien, a medieval scholar in his own right has essentially done the same thing: producing critical materials for the study of a work in pretty much the same fashion as his father and other medieval scholars produce a critical edition of classical and medieval works.

      Its kind of an obvious point, but one that I find both humorous and ironic.

      Larry Swain