20072Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien cartoon

  • John D Rateliff
    Sep 15, 2008
      On Sep 14, 2008, at 8:02 AM, David Bratman wrote:
      > I wish you'd warned us how profoundly ignorant and cheap-shot they
      > are.

      Sorry about that; last time I offered an opinion on a link I was
      posting I got lambasted for it, so I thought I'd give this one as
      neutrally as possible.

      In fact I completely disagree with the cartoonist's rants; I
      simply thought the middle one (Blimey!) was funny. They're the sort
      of things one can only say out of complete ignorance of the material
      being condemned, sight unseen.

      On Sep 15, 2008, at 1:53 PM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
      > This is the sort of ignorant spew we've been seeing for *over
      > twenty years* from people who haven't a clue what HME is, how
      > valuable it is, or the mind-boggling amount of labor CRT put into it.

      Some of us have been seeing it for more than thirty years, since
      those original sneering reviews of THE SILMARILLION back in 1977.
      It's a cliche with a life on its own, immutable by the facts.

      --JDR
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic