20070Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien cartoon

    Sep 14 10:56 PM
      "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

      > ---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > << It reads as if the cartoonist had browsed through a couple volumes
      > restlessly while on an upset stomach and decided to condemn the whole
      > project thereby. >>
      >
      > Well, he offers the other point of view in the third strip.

      Only to belittle it.

      > << Also, if you want to complain about vast quantities of posthumous
      > Tolkien hitting the streets, aren't you rather over ten years out of
      > date? >>
      >
      > What about _The Children of Hurin_ and, er, _The History of The
      > Hobbit_? I think those books, particularly the first one, got more
      > attention in mainstream press than the later _History of Middle-earth_
      > volumes.

      That's why I wrote "vast quantities," Merlin. One book, _The Children of
      Hurin_, isn't enough to generate the kind of flooding-the-market complaints
      of these strips. And _The History of The Hobbit_ is not directly the
      responsibility of Christopher Tolkien, at whom the attack is specifically
      pointed, nor is it packaged and marketed as a book by Tolkien. An ignorant
      inquirer picks it up at the store, it looks like a book by John Rateliff
      _about_ Tolkien. John's name is more prominent than JRRT's on the cover,
      and JRRT's name doesn't appear on the title page at all; neither of these
      things is true of the Narn or of the HoME books.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic