      From: John D Rateliff
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Galadriel throws down the walls of Dol Guldur

      Hi Steve
      Sorry for the delay in responding; I've been away and just got
      back. I think most of the other regular posters are at Mythcon this
      weekend.
      I interpret that passage to mean that after the Nazgul were
      destroyed, Celeborn's forces destroyed the remaining Mirkwood-host
      and that Galadriel herself then left Lorien to visit the spot. I
      don't think she rolled up her sleeves and let loose against the walls
      with a big hammer; rather, I parallel this passage with Luthien's
      casting down the Necromancer's Tower (the former Tol Sirion) in THE
      SILMARILLION. That is, I think she undid the spell that bound the
      place together, and that it crumbled and collapsed on the spot.
      It's not said that the Three Rings immediately wink out, but
      implied that they fade quickly. Destroying Dol Guldur would have been
      a good use of most of what remained of Nenya's power, leaving the
      world behind with a cleaner slate to start the new age ("Greenwood
      the Great").
      I hope this helps.
      --JDR