20019Re: Tolkien's Gedling

  • ajkjr1
    Aug 5, 2008
      I read this book a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some
      very nice insight into Tolkiens time in Gedling and with his aunt and
      some nice pictures that have probably never been seen.

      If you want t have some fun go to Google earth or and of the mapping
      programs and get a satelite view of that area. The church is still
      there as is part of the farm bt much of it has been developed.

      Nice short read!

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

      > ---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@> wrote:
      > << Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
      > published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
      > the time: TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about
      Aunt
      > Jane's farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in
      > retrospect, stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's
      the
      > link >>
      >

      > In addition to the two short reviews posted at amazon.co.uk, a
      longer
      > response was posted a few weeks ago to the Reading Room forum at
      > TheOneRing.net:
      >
      > http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
      > post=116568
      >
      > And Pieter Collier interviewed one of the authors in May at his
      > Tolkien Library site:
      >
      > http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/830-
      > Interview_with_Andrew_H_Morton_on_Tolkien_Gedling.php
      >
      > -Merlin DeTardo

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic