20011Re: [mythsoc] Pauline Baynes

    Aug 2, 2008
      The Tolkien (and Lewis) world will miss Pauline Baynes.

      Nothing's more pleasing to read than Tolkien's delight at first seeing her illustrations for _Farmer Giles_:

      "I am pleased with them beyond even the expectations aroused by the first examples. They are more than illustrations, they are a collateral theme. I showed them to my friends [this would be the Inklings] whose polite comment was that they reduced my text to a commentary on the drawings." (Letter no. 120)

      FGH without those mock-medieval illuminations would be unimaginable. Her great work will live on.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic