      From: Andrew
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:14 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] A thought...

      ...kicking around my head. Given JRRT's work on the Anhorites (Ancrene
      Wisse) and his admission that the LOTR is a Catholic work, how bout
      Bombadil as a hermit, a monk--in the world not of it, giving for this
      world not a cherry. Any likelihood that, much as Narnia was Lewis's
      supposal of our wide array of myths in a world where animals could
      talk, might Bombadill play the role of a Middle-earth ascetic?

      Oh, not the pale and parsimonious asceticism as we've come to
      understand it in our day, but more like desert fathers or all of those
      wonder-working saints, nuns, and brothers of the Middle Ages.

      He's in the world not of it, and has a different power altogether--one
      connected with the earth and rivers.

      Maybe even a rehabilitation (key word for the Inklings as Modernists)
      of Chaucer's Monk and Reeve, even?

      Just musing...

      Blessings, all. Off to Oxbridge next week!

      Kindly,

      Andrew