1995Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter IV (w / spoilers)

  • Margaret Dean
    Jul 26, 2000
      Diane Joy Baker wrote:

      > Finally finished Harry Potter! As usual, delightful and breezy action.
      > There are spoilers from here on out, and if you haven't gotten your copy or
      > finished it, don't read any further.

      <keeping the spoiler space>

      > One of the most interesting aspects is the fact that it's much more evident
      > that the Dementors are not well regarded; the internal politics of the
      > magical community seems as interesting as it is among the Muggle's world.
      > The Muggle world and Magical world are more connected this time: a few
      > Muggles are touched by magical events. Things definitely took a dark turn
      > where Fudge is concerned; his blind desire not to believe that V is back
      > threatens his position.

      Yes, that was rather amazing and appalling, wasn't it?

      > Of course I knew that You Know Who would come back; structurally, makes
      > sense that it would be in the fourth book. One thing I wasn't clear about:
      > What exactly *is* a Death Eater? If it's just the name for those who follow
      > YKW, it's rather misleading, and if there's an actual function for these
      > folk, it's not clear.

      I got the impression that V's followers were called "Death
      Eaters" because he claimed they'd be able to defeat death. It is
      one of the standard "baits."

      > The "foreign" elements were interesting. Are the *veela* a real creation,
      > or did JKR make them up?

      I'd be interested in finding that out, too. She's certainly done
      both in the past -- dug out both obscure and not-so-obscure
      folklore critters, and made up her own. If they are authentic
      folklore, the fact that it's the Bulgarian Quidditch team that
      fields them suggests that they're an Eastern European legend.

      > You have the French, who have always had trouble
      > with England, Germany represented with Viktor, and the Slavic element with
      > Karkaroff.

      Actually Viktor Krum is Bulgarian, so they're both Slavs.
      However, "Durmstrang" certainly sounds German. (Had to snicker
      at that name! Rowling does have a flair for names.)

      What do people think of the house-elf situation?

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic