19739Re: Eowyn Challenge

  • Marcie
    Apr 28, 2008
      Hi all,
      Several of the folks in our Los Angeles smial have taken on the Eowyn
      Challenge and really enjoyed it. Two of us arrived in Rivendell this
      month and are now on our way to Lothlorien. Four or five others have
      started out from Hobbiton, and one person has walked, jogged and
      cycled all the way to Mordor! Hope you'll enjoy your walks.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Higgins <asthiggins@...> wrote:
      > Hi All
      > Yesterday the UK was blessed with one of the warmest days of the
      year so far and it afforded myself, partner and our Corgi, Charlie,
      to start the Eowyn Challenge (our cat Meowman was not interested and
      preferred to do the couch challenge). We have decided this summer to
      walk to Rivendell from Hobbiton (roughly 450 miles). We travelled to
      one of the ancient seats of the Bishops of Winchester - Farnham - and
      walked roughly 5 miles which essentially according to the Eowyn
      Challenge (the "Horse Joy" challenge as it were) got us into Tookland
      (27 miles to the first encounter with the Black Rider - why am I
      looking forward to that?).
      > Farnham Castle is currently managed by The English Heritage Society
      and as we were passing by the gates I got thinking about what The
      Middle Earth Heritage Society would look like in the future time of
      Middle Earth (say the 20th Age) what ruins would exist (Minas Tirith,
      Isengard, Edoras) - with the passing of the Elves one would think
      that Elvish buildings would fade as well (although as in the Lord of
      the Rings Online game - one would still see some remains of Elvish
      architecture like Edelethion). Would men have set up a society to
      manage and fund the upkeep of the most famous sites of Middle Earth
      and as a member of the Middle Earth Heritage Society you could get in
      free to all these sites. Would there be museum displays of the great
      battles - and I'm sure to secure government funding from the
      Elessarion goverment you would have to do some interactive
      educational elements (try on the armor of a Numenorian soldier, make
      your own remedy out of Athelas leaves, etc) - would
      > there be a gift shop (purchase your own Lembas bread recipe,
      palantir snow globes, etc.). What would people be thinking as the
      walked across the stone ruins of what was Osgiliath or Minas Ithil -
      would there be a coffee/gift shop and travellers restaurant on top of
      > Any other ideas on what would form part of The Middle Earth
      Historical Society would offer - reenacrtments of the Battle of
      Pelannor fields perhaps?
      > Andy
      > Andrew Higgins
      > asthiggins@yahoo. org.uk
      > "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern."
      Siegfried Act 2