19670. . . not on topic

  • John D Rateliff
    Apr 11, 2008
      On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
      > More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the Witch-
      > king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

      Speaking of which, and ignoring all the cheap sneers at Gore, this
      reminds me of an interesting point in LITERARY SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS
      where de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
      thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
      era. According to de Camp, the two men agreed it was because "Middle-
      earth reflected Tolkien's memories of the English countryside in his
      boyhood", when except for deer "large wild animals had been extinct
      in Britain for centuries".

      --JDR
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic