19597Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Company They Keep

  • John D Rateliff
    Mar 16, 2008
      On Mar 16, 2008, at 10:48 AM, David Bratman wrote:

      >> At 12:35 PM 3/16/2008 +0000, Andrew Higgins wrote:
      >> . . . has made me very interested in reading the works of Charles
      >> Williams.
      >
      > Williams can be a challenge. His novels are often considered a
      > good place to start, but one way to get a discussion going among
      > Williams readers is to ask which novel a new reader should try
      > first. My vote goes to _War in Heaven_.

      I too wd suggest WAR IN HEAVEN, with THE GREATER TRUMPS as the
      alternate if the person I was suggesting it to had a strong interest
      in the tarot. CSL of course started with PLACE OF THE LION, and it
      seems to have been his favorite to recommend to new readers, but I'm
      glad I didn't start with that one. Avoid SHADOWS OF ECSTASY until
      after you've read most if not all of the others.

      --JDR