19584Re: [mythsoc] Re: Graduate programs - C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts

  • Larry Swain
    Mar 14, 2008

      > Side note: Anyone read C.S. Lewis & the Catholic Church? What do you think
      > about the author's conclusion that C.S. Lewis's theology was very close to
      > Catholicism, but that he never converted because of his early Ulster
      > indoctrination against "papists" (as well as a handful of very conscious
      > disagreements with Catholic theology)?

      I confess that I haven't read the book, but I'd have to agree generally (though rather than "Catholic" I'd say that Lewis accepted and believed what the Church has always believed as expressed and discussed in the Latin West...there is one, catholic and apostolic church, eh what? Lewis himself said something along the lines that those "in the middle" of whatever communion knew and understood that these differences among groups were superficial, it was those at the rim who were exercised about them.) As for his conversion to Catholicism being inhibited by his Ulster indoctrination, that probably has a good deal to do with it. But I also think that a reinforcement at least was what he studied principally: Renaissance English literature (not the only thing as he also taught Beowulf etc, but twas what he wrote and taught on the most). Spenser and Milton are two authors that Lewis taught, wrote on, and I think influenced him a great deal and both are decidedly anti-Catholic (he also rather like late Medieval works like Piers Plowman who though medieval and so pre-reformation was certainly anti-clerical as was Chaucer to some degree--anyone for the Pardoner?!) Ok, far too long winded for a brief response! I envy you in many ways, best of luck.

      Larry Swain