19565Re: Population Levels in Middle-earth

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Mar 7, 2008
      ---"Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
      << Some areas of Middle-earth are fairly populated. Gondor is far
      more populated than we see, though there are a good number of hints.
      Rohan likewise, and Dunland certainly has population enough to harry
      Rohan and be Saruman's suppliers to the Shire. >>

      Good point about Dunland, though Aragorn says, "I have never been in
      Isengard, but I have journeyed in this land, and I know well the
      empty countries that lie between Rohan and the Shire. Neither goods
      nor folk have passed that way for many a long year, not openly." His
      Rangers on the Shire's southern border must have been careless, if
      they haven't noticed any traffic going south from Sarn Ford.

      And Gondor, or at least Minas Tirith, is less than it was:

      "Yet it was in truth falling year by year into decay; and already it
      lacked half the men that could have dwelt at ease there. In every
      street they passed some great house or court over whose doors and
      arched gates were carved many fair letters of strange and ancient
      shapes: names Pippin guessed of great men and kindreds that had once
      dwelt there; and yet now they were silent, and no footsteps rang on
      their wide pavements, nor voice was heard in their halls, nor any
      face looked out from door or empty window."

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic