19559Re: Lewis review in the movies

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Mar 6, 2008
      That's wild, David - what was the implication that the Jones character
      couldn't understand a word? Did he not *read* or did he not grasp the
      concept?

      -- Lynn --

      > In the film "In the Valley of Elah", there's an unexpectedly
      hilarious moment when Tommy Lee Jones (crusty old retired soldier) is
      going to read a bedtime story to the young son of Charlize Theron
      (police detective and single mother).

      > He picks up the book, which is a paperback of _The Lion, the Witch
      and the Wardrobe_, leafs through it silently, and when the boy says,
      "You're supposed to read it to me," he replies, "I don't understand
      one word of it."

      > So as the boy's name is David, he tells him the story of David and
      Goliath instead, hence the title of the film, that being where the
      battle took place. Imagine the film being named for Narnia instead:
      it would terribly confuse everyone waiting for the _Prince Caspian_ film.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic