19551Re: Graduate programs - C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Mar 5, 2008
      Yes, APU has a graduate program. Yes, Marjorie Burns is at Portland
      State (she is our scholar GOH for this year's Mythcon - she's a neat
      human being so that will be fun!).

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

      > Just to add, Tom Shippey IS RETIRING at St. Louis this semester, and
      yes they do have graduate programs. You know, I should ask, but I
      don't think Tom has ever had a Tolkien dissertation student....Tolkien
      inspired, but not one that he supervised on Tolkien.

      > Mike Drout teaches at Wheaton in Mass., but I don't believe they
      have grad programs.

      > My own Tolkien and Lewis teachers were at Seattle Pacific, but I
      believe have retired.

      > Marjorie Burns I think is at Portland State
      >
      > Larry Swain
      >

      > > If you go just by looking at where there are important Lewis and
      Tolkien
      > > scholars, there's Azusa Pacific, with Diana Glyer, and she's not
      > > about to retire
      > > anytime soon, but I wonder if they have graduate programs.
      There's Rice,
      > > with Jane Chance, and I don't think she's about to retire, but
      people on this
      > > mailing list don't have much to say about her. There's St. Louis
      University,
      > > with Tom Shippey, but is he due to retire soon and do they have
      graduate
      > > programs? There's Tarleton State, with Joe Christopher, but he's
      already
      > > retired, and I don't know if they have graduate programs. Closest
      > > of all to you,
      > > Cole, is the University of Maryland, with Verlyn Flieger. Going
      strictly by
      > > age, she would have been expected to retire several years ago, but
      > > I think she
      > > has no intentions of ever retiring. Can anyone else suggest
      important Lewis
      > > and Tolkien scholars and where they teach?
      > >
      > > Wendell Wagner
      > >

      > > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.

      > > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links