19537Re: Graduate programs - C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts

  • Sarah Beach
    Feb 29, 2008
      Fuller Seminary in Pasadena has some programs geared toward theology
      and the arts. However, they are also firmly rooted in the Protestant
      evangelical tradition.

      A Catholic friend of mine who works with a program geared toward
      training Christian writers & executives in the entertainment business
      (called the Act One Program), took some courses at Fuller to get a
      better understanding of where Protestants where "coming from" in
      thinking - and she found many of the courses intellectually
      frustrating. I don't know if it was the specific faculty she was
      dealing with or not.

      On the other hand, major script consultant Linda Seger ... I think
      she got a degree in theology from Fuller (I'll have to check). I know
      she designed some of her study program herself. (I'm talking from
      memory here, it's been a while since I talked with her.)

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cole Matson" <ccematson@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, all.
      >
      > I am currently researching Masters programs in theology, theology &
      the
      > arts, individualized study, and liberal studies. Yep, I know it
      seems like a
      > wide field. However, I'm currently casting a wide net so as not to
      rule out
      > a program that might be a good fit for me.
      >
      > I have realized, through my past several years reading of C.S.
      Lewis and the
      > other Inklings (esp. Tolkien), that I do not have nearly the
      background in
      > Christian theology and general philosophy that I would like. No
      theology
      > courses were offered at my high school or college (New York
      University). As
      > an undergrad pursuing a B.F.A. in Theater from the Tisch School of
      the Arts
      > (with a double major in Psychology), I did make time to take a few
      courses
      > that, at the time, were just for fun (Arthurian Legend, Tolkien &
      Lewis: The
      > Antiquarian Answer to Modernism, and an independent study on Lewis
      entitled
      > C.S. Lewis: The Christian Storyteller). However, I've realized that
      working
      > as an actor is not enough, and I want to gain the general
      background in
      > theology and philosophy (theology especially) that I need in order
      to carry
      > on the discussions I try to have with others, and then work toward
      a Ph.D.

      > I want to attend a program where traditional orthodox Christianity
      is taken
      > seriously. I would like to write a thesis on the moral role and
      duty of the
      > Christian storyteller (literature and the performing arts are the
      artistic
      > spheres with which I am most familiar), especially looking at what
      Lewis had
      > to say about the subject. (This would be, in effect, a much more in-
      depth
      > look at the topic of my independent study final paper. It would
      also be a
      > response to the artistic philosophy at NYU, where I was taught: art
      for
      > art's sake, as long as you're expressing yourself without censor
      you're
      > doing something right, and artists shouldn't be held to a moral
      code because
      > otherwise they wouldn't be free to comment on society.) Therefore,
      I would
      > like to go somewhere where there is a a Lewis scholar (or at least
      > aficionado) teaching. I've seen a couple of programs, like the
      Ph.D. program
      > in Theology, Imagination & the Arts at the University of St.
      Andrews and the
      > Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts at the University of
      Glasgow