19420Re: two queries

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Feb 13, 2008

      > For what it's worth, in the early drafts of the final chapters of _The
      > Lord of the Rings_, narrating the events leading up to the scouring of
      > the Shire, many of the defiant words and deeds are Frodo's. In
      > revision, Tolkien transferred these to Pippin and more often Merry.
      >
      > --MAF

      I don't know what you expect us to conclude from that, Mike - my own
      conclusion is that Frodo's journey was not that of a warrior and his
      sacrifice was not made with a sword. But I don't think that means
      Frodo didn't support Merry and Pippin in *their* call to be brave
      battling hobbits--

      -- Lynn --
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic