19415Re: [mythsoc] Re: To Hobbit or not To Hobbit?

    Feb 13, 2008
      Excuse me if I'm replying to the wrong person. I can't figure out who's
      saying what here. I wish people would be more careful in showing what is being
      quoted and who said it.

      In a message dated 2/12/2008 11:37:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      solicitr@... writes:

      Back around the time Film I came out either The Economist
      or The Financial Times reported that Tolkien got a
      percentage above a certain sum, on top of IIRC $250,000 US-
      which meant he only realised $10,000, the other 96% going
      to the Inland Revenue.
      What does Film I mean? Does this mean the first of the Jackson films? The
      top income rate in the U.K. is 40% and hasn't been 96% since at least the
      1970's. Is this talking about the money paid to Tolkien in 1968 when he sold
      the film rights to the books? According to everything I've read before,
      Tolkien got about $250,000 and didn't get any future percentages.

      Awards. Go to AOL Music.