19413Re: To Hobbit or not To Hobbit?

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Feb 12, 2008
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin
      DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

      Back around the time Film I came out either The Economist
      or The Financial Times reported that Tolkien got a
      percentage above a certain sum, on top of IIRC $250,000 US-
      which meant he only realised $10,000, the other 96% going
      to the Inland Revenue.

      However I had believed it was a profits percentage, and
      therefore worthless.

      going to > --- John D Rateliff <sacnoth@> wrote:
      > << In [R. Unwin's] discussion of selling film
      rights for THE HOBBIT,
      > he says that a contract with Rembrandt Films was
      ready in 1962 but
      > had to be renegotiated because of the unsettled
      status of the
      > copyright, and that in the end it went for a
      $15,000 advance "and a
      > share of any profits earned in countries that were
      signatories of
      > [the] Berne [Convention] . . . Over the next few
      years instalments
      > of the advance arrived from Rembrandt" until a
      script was
      > finished "at the end of 1964", at which point the
      project seems to
      > have lapsed. >>
      >
      > Apparently Rembrandt Films (William Synder) did
      produce and publicly
      > exhibit (just once) a cheap, short animated film
      of _The Hobbit_ in
      > 1966, to retain its option until the rights could
      be sold back to
      > Tolkien. The animator Gene Deitch discusses his
      work on the project
      > here:
      >
      > http://genedeitch.awn.com/
      index.php3?ltype=chapter&chapter=22

      > Deitch's site includes a few images that Jiri
      Trnka had prepared for
      > a full-length version that was never made.*
      >
      > See also p. 21 of Scull and Hammond's _Reader's
      Guide_, which also
      > quotes from the same passage in Unwin's
      "Remembrancer".

      > Has anyone here seen this first film version of
      _The Hobbit_?

      > -Merlin DeTardo
      >

      > *Thanks to Darkstone at TheOneRing.net for
      bringing Deitch's site to
      > my attention:
      >
      > http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/
      gforum.cgi?