19409Re: To Hobbit or not To Hobbit?

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Feb 12, 2008
      It's very straightforward, really: When JRRT sold
      the rights to United Artists in 1969 (the only
      sale of film rights) he received cash on the nail
      *and* a percentage. I had always assumed that
      this was a back-end, i.e. net-profits, deal
      (generally worthless, since Hollywood accountants
      make sure no film ever shows a profit); but
      apparently JRRT was canny enough to hold out for a
      front-end deal or a share of the gross.

      There are no 'rights' based on the Ace Books
      edition, which was not semi-pirate but all-pirate,
      and the 'loophole' Ace claimed never existed.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Bratman
      <dbratman@...> wrote:

      > I'm surprised that the Tolkien Estate (or
      Tolkien Trust) is owed any royalties from the
      Jackson films, as the rights had already been sold
      outright during Tolkien's lifetime. I knew that
      New Line had offered the Estate monetary rights
      for the Tolkien family's participation in and
      endorsement of the film project, but that would
      have been an additional deal and the Estate turned
      it down.

      > I thought maybe somebody had confused the
      Tolkien Estate with Tolkien Enterprises, an
      entirely different body with no connection to the
      Estate, but I looked at your source and that's
      what it says.

      > On the other hand, I glanced down at your post
      about reading Simon Armitage's translation of _Sir
      Gawain_ and how it's more contemporary than the
      Tolkien & Gordon translation of 1925. You write
      that Tolkien & Gordon "were traditionalists ...
      aiming to keep the archaic flavor of the Middle
      English language," and I should say they were,
      since their book was an edition of the original
      text and not a translation at all!

      > However, your Amazon link _is_ to Tolkien's (not
      Gordon's) translation, a quite different book,
      probably written in the early 1950s and not
      published until 1975. There seems to have been a
      little confusion here.

      > Adam Smith <amsmith0903@...> wrote:
      >
      > >I just ran across an interesting bit of news.
      It appears that the
      > >Tolkien Estate has filed a $150 mil + dollar
      suit against New Line
      > >Cinema regarding unpaid royalties from the
      first movie trilogy.

      > >Apparently the suit also seeks the ability to
      block any further movies
      > >from New Line, including the already-slated
      Hobbit twin-pack. I just
      > >put up a more detailed post on my Tolkien-news
      blog at

      > ><http://www.tolkien-online.com/tolkien-
      news.html>

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic