19406Re: [mythsoc] To Hobbit or not To Hobbit?

    Feb 11, 2008
      I'm surprised that the Tolkien Estate (or Tolkien Trust) is owed any royalties from the Jackson films, as the rights had already been sold outright during Tolkien's lifetime. I knew that New Line had offered the Estate monetary rights for the Tolkien family's participation in and endorsement of the film project, but that would have been an additional deal and the Estate turned it down.

      I thought maybe somebody had confused the Tolkien Estate with Tolkien Enterprises, an entirely different body with no connection to the Estate, but I looked at your source and that's what it says.

      On the other hand, I glanced down at your post about reading Simon Armitage's translation of _Sir Gawain_ and how it's more contemporary than the Tolkien & Gordon translation of 1925. You write that Tolkien & Gordon "were traditionalists ... aiming to keep the archaic flavor of the Middle English language," and I should say they were, since their book was an edition of the original text and not a translation at all!

      However, your Amazon link _is_ to Tolkien's (not Gordon's) translation, a quite different book, probably written in the early 1950s and not published until 1975. There seems to have been a little confusion here.

      Adam Smith <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

      >I just ran across an interesting bit of news. It appears that the
      >Tolkien Estate has filed a $150 mil + dollar suit against New Line
      >Cinema regarding unpaid royalties from the first movie trilogy.
      >
      >Apparently the suit also seeks the ability to block any further movies
      >from New Line, including the already-slated Hobbit twin-pack. I just
      >put up a more detailed post on my Tolkien-news blog at
      >
      ><http://www.tolkien-online.com/tolkien-news.html>

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic