19405Re: To Hobbit or not To Hobbit?

  • Sarah Beach
    Feb 11, 2008
      Interesting.

      Re the LotR films, as I understood it, the rights for them were off
      either the semi-pirate Ace editions (and hence, not formally due the
      Estate) or off the film rights JRRT had sold very early on (which had
      bounced through several hands - notably John Borman).

      Tracking that would be a sticky business. It'll be interested to see
      what the Estate achieves.

      I've been wondering about the rights for THE HOBBIT, though, since
      those have had a separate history all along.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Smith" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

      > I just ran across an interesting bit of news. It appears that the
      > Tolkien Estate has filed a $150 mil + dollar suit against New Line
      > Cinema regarding unpaid royalties from the first movie trilogy.
      >
      > Apparently the suit also seeks the ability to block any further
      movies
      > from New Line, including the already-slated Hobbit twin-pack. I
      just
      > put up a more detailed post on my Tolkien-news blog at
      >
      > <http://www.tolkien-online.com/tolkien-news.html>

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic