19398'Arda Reconstructed' to be published

  • Doug Kane
    Feb 8, 2008
      Last August, there was some talk here about the paper I presented at MythCon
      on my work tracing the creation of the published Silmarillion, which I
      called "Arda Reconstructed". At the time, I indicated that I was revising
      my manuscript at the direction of a reader who had reviewed it for a
      potential publisher. I am happy to announce that the revised manuscript has
      now been accepted for publication by the Lehigh University Press. I don't
      have a publication date yet, but it will likely be early in 2009.

      There are many people that have given me invaluable assistance in this
      project. However, I need to give special mention to the anonymous reader
      who reviewed my initial manuscript. It would have been very easy for that
      person to simply recommend rejecting the manuscript out of hand, without
      taking the time to provide such detailed and excellent suggestions for
      reorganizing and revising it. I honestly believe that had this person not
      been so diligent, my hard work likely would have been for naught. Based on
      the extensive knowledge of Tolkien's work that the reader showed, I suspect
      that there is a very good chance that it is someone who is on this list. If
      so, I want to say "thank you".

      Here is a brief description of the book:

      In The History of Middle-earth, Christopher Tolkien documents in amazing
      detail the development of the lifelong work of his father, J.R.R. Tolkien,
      that would become The Silmarillion. However, neither Christopher Tolkien
      himself, nor anyone else, has ever thoroughly documented the final step: his
      actual creation (several years after his father's death) of the published
      work.

      That has finally changed. ARDA RECONSTRUCTED: The Creation of the Published
      Silmarillion reveals a tapestry woven by Christopher Tolkien from different
      portions of his father's work that is often quite mind-boggling, with
      inserts that seemed initially to have been editorial inventions shown to
      have come from some remote other portion of Tolkien's vast body of work. I
      demonstrate how material that was written over the course of more than 30
      years was merged together. I also make a frank appraisal of the material
      omitted by Christopher Tolkien (and in a couple of egregious cases the
      material invented by him) and how these omissions and insertions may have
      distorted his father's vision of what he considered-even more than The Lord
      of the Rings-to be his most important work. It is a fascinating portrait of
      a unique collaboration that reached beyond the grave.