      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of William Cloud Hicklin
      Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:41 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: '50 Greatest Postwar British Writers'

      It's interesting and refreshing to observe that in not one
      of the 118 reader comments as of this writing, not one
      tries to put down Tolkien and claim he doesn't belong
      (although one Moorcock fan does reference 'Epic Pooh.')

      I can't disagree with those upset over omissions in three
      cases: Evelyn Waugh, Graham Greene and Terry Pratchett. I
      would throw in Wodehouse, but acknowledge that all his best
      work was pre-war.

      However, eligibility for this list is rather odd: novelists
      and poets (apples and oranges), but not playwrights; and a
      definition of "British" which includes those foreign-born
      naturalized long after their best work (e.g. Rushdie)- but
      no Irish need apply.