19345Re: Mystical Realms . . .

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Jan 11, 2008
      I think you're falling into the other extreme, John-- Yes, Jesus told
      Peter that 'he who lives by the sword will die by the sword' - but He
      also told them "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along,
      likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and
      buy one." (Luke 22:36)

      The 'turn the other cheek' instruction is personal and not corporate
      (it doesn't apply to nations or armies or police) and it does *not*
      mean 'allow the person to kill you, if they so desire' - it's
      specifically allowing a slapped cheek to slapped again. And I think
      there's some real truth to the following anecdote:

      A successful Irish boxer was converted and became a preacher. He
      happened to be in a new town setting up his evangelistic tent when a
      couple of tough thugs noticed what he was doing. Knowing nothing of
      his background, they made a few insulting remarks. The Irishman merely
      turned and looked at them. Pressing his luck, one of the bullies took
      a swing and struck a glancing blow on one side of the ex-boxer's face.
      He shook it off and said nothing as he turned the other cheek. The
      fellow took another glancing blow on the other side. At that point the
      preacher swiftly took off his coat, rolled up his sleeves, and
      announced, "The Lord gave me not further instructions."

      And considering that Jesus Himself is pictured in violent and military
      terms frequently throughout scripture (both Hebrew and NT), I just
      don't think it's a 'one-size-fits-all' equation, you know?

      -- Lynn --