19343Re: [mythsoc] Mystical Realms . . .

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Jan 10, 2008
      On Jan 10, 2008, at 2:44 AM, John D Rateliff wrote:
      > I am dubious that this is 'the purpose of government' (i.e., that
      > governments arose from such benign and altruistic motives).

      I didn't say that governments "arose" for this purpose (though many
      did, at least in part). I said this _is_ (pretty much) the purpose of
      government: present tense, and in the specific context of this
      discussion concerning CSL and Aquinas. It has certainly been the
      primary purpose of esp. democratic governments. Tolkien also saw it as
      a primary purpose of (legitimate) monarchies.

      > The example of Peter, who is rebuked for meeting violence with
      > violence in order to protect an innocent man from torture and death,

      Is that all Jesus was? Is that all Peter was doing here? Peter was
      earlier, and more forcefully, rebuked for simply urging Jesus not to
      see through his mission of dying for our sins. ("Get thee behind me,
      Satan!") Isn't that what Peter was doing here, too?

      > seems pretty emphatic that, so far as the gospel is concerned, there
      > is no 'good violence'.

      Have you read Revelations? In light of which, it is well to remember
      that Jesus also said "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a
      sword". Now, one can argue that Jesus was not speaking of a literal
      sword (I would make the same argument) but no matter how you interpret
      it, it is clear that Jesus's message was not simply one of "peace".

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic