19341Re: [mythsoc] Mystical Realms . . .

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Jan 9, 2008
      On Jan 9, 2008, at 7:39 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
      > Um, do I really need to point out that the whole 'turn the other
      > cheek' thing was a direct instruction from Jesus Christ himself? And
      > that when Peter tried to meet force with force, Christ told him to
      > knock it off in no uncertain terms? CSL and Aquinas may win some over
      > by claiming that Jesus didn't really know what he was talking about

      Do you really think _that_ is either CSL's or Aquinas's claim? (I.e.,
      that "Jesus didn't really know what he was talking about"?) Or could
      it perhaps be that CSL and Aquinas don't think that what is right and
      admirable when chosen as a personal response to personal threat, is
      either right or admirable when it comes to defending _others_ from
      threats? (Which, you know, is pretty much the _purpose_ of
      government.) In other words, do you think Jesus enjoins us not to
      defend others? If so, do you think that Jesus meant that governments
      should not defend their citizens?

      Carl
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic