19340Re: [mythsoc] Mystical Realms . . .

  • John D Rateliff
    Jan 9, 2008
      On Jan 9, 2008, at 7:39 AM, jef.murray wrote:
      > Turning the other cheek is OK in theory, but if evil is real, and
      > if we want to spare the "least of these" some of the vast suffering
      > available for the dispensing, aren't we obliged to kick up a fuss?
      >
      > C. S. Lewis thought so. In his essay `Why I am not a Pacifist," he
      > methodically lays out the moral need to resist evil. Thomas
      > Aquinas, likewise, helped to define what a "just war" was. And if a
      > saint says we should defend the innocent, who am I to argue?

      Um, do I really need to point out that the whole 'turn the other
      cheek' thing was a direct instruction from Jesus Christ himself? And
      that when Peter tried to meet force with force, Christ told him to
      knock it off in no uncertain terms? CSL and Aquinas may win some over
      by claiming that Jesus didn't really know what he was talking about
      (this seems to be Gov. Huckabee's position re. the death sentence),
      but I'm not buying it.

      --John R.
      Christian, therefore Pacifist