19241Re: [mythsoc] Re: Lucy, Galadriel, and Temptation

  • John D Rateliff
    Dec 11, 2007
      On Dec 10, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
      > Lewis was trying to make Aslan as much like Jesus as he could imagine

      Well, all I can say is that for me he failed utterly. I can only
      read the books if I 'suspend disbelief' and treat Aslan as a purely
      fictional character, like Manwe or Mana-Yood-Sushai or Koshchei the
      Deathless (i.e., as god, not God).
      I suspect others have the reverse problem with Pullman; they read
      his fantasy as if he were writing a realistic novel about our world,
      and react accordingly.
      --JDR
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic