19229Re: Mystical Realms Newsletter for December, 2007

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Dec 10, 2007
      Lucy // Galadriel

      I haven't read through the rest of the comments on the list yet
      (sorry--) but I think it bears remembering that Galadriel was a being
      with a lot of experience behind her (rebellion, etc.) and Lucy was
      still a human child. Not that you are chastising Lucy for needing
      Aslan's 'presence' to resist the temptation but I think it's worth
      remembering how young she was meant to be, especially since she is
      often so spiritually mature.

      Jef, thank you for posting that - fascinating thoughts, many with
      which I resonate but I won't go tangential to the list!

      blessings all--
      -- Lynn --

      > Jef,
      >
      > Thought-provoking message. Setting aside the points you raise about
      "angel vision", etc. -- not because those questions aren't
      interesting, but because they might be off-topic for an extended
      discussion here -- I wanted to raise a couple of questions about your
      Lewis analogy.

      > You wrote:
      >
      > > In "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", C. S. Lewis places
      > > his protagonist, Lucy, in a precarious spot. She must go
      > > into a wizard's study, open his spell book, and find a spell
      > > that will cause the invisible Dufflepuds to become visible
      > > once again.
      > >
      > > As she seeks the "visibility spell", Lucy is sorely tempted
      > > to utter an alternative, one that will make her more beautiful
      > > than anyone else in the world. This evil beckons, but she
      > > does not yield to temptation. And, once she finds and speaks
      > > the words of the spell she was seeking, not only do the
      > > Dufflepuds appear, but also the wizard, plus Aslan, the
      > > Christ figure in Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia".
      >
      > First, does Lucy's temptation here, and the revelation of its
      possible consequences, remind anybody else of Galadriel's temptation
      by the One Ring in The Lord of the Rings? Galadriel says: "You will
      give me the Ring freely! In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a
      Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the
      Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon
      the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than
      the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!" Now, I
      don't think Galadriel is really quite as tempted as Lucy seems to be
      -- Lucy is on the verge of saying the words, and Aslan himself has to
      make an appearance in the spell-book to stop her; whereas, Galadriel
      has fought her own inner battles of temptation (and won them) before
      the Ring even appears in Lothl�rien. But the imagery in the two scenes
      strikes me as rather similar -- especially where the spell-Lucy's
      > preternatural beauty leads to the desolation of "all Narnia and
      Archenland, Telmar and Calormen, Galma and Terebinthia", which
      (mutatis mutandis) would certainly have been the same result if
      Galadriel had taken the Ring.

      > Second, if the wizard Coriakin is "good" (as he seems to be by his
      close association with Aslan), why are there "bad" spells in his
      spell-book? As you put it, "the evil beckons", but why is there an
      "evil" spell in his book at all? One might say it's only there to
      tempt her, but is that an acceptable answer from the theological point
      of view Lewis was attempting to advance? And related to your point
      about Lucy's "not yield[ing] to temptation", remember that she *does*
      recite the spell to eavesdrop on her friends at school. If that is a
      less "evil" surrender to temptation, it is nevertheless still a moral
      defeat, no? Aslan chastises her for it, though gently. This scene,
      too, if I might allude to Tolkien again, reminds me of the temptation
      to look into the palant�r -- a temptation which several characters in
      The Lord of the Rings *do* give in to. And in both Tolkien and Lewis,
      what one learns thereby isn't *quite* the whole truth, is it?

      > What do you think? Anyone else have thoughts to share?
      >
      > Jason

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic