19223Re: [mythsoc] Lucy, Galadriel, and Temptation

  • John D Rateliff
    Dec 7 5:34 PM
      On Dec 7, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Jason Fisher wrote:
      >> So, I assume that for _some_ people and in _some_ circumstances,
      >> the "beauty" spell might be used for good.
      >
      > Can you actually think of such a scenario? Perhaps it's a limit to
      > my imagination, but I can't.

      Maybe it's simpler than that. If people wish upon a star, in a
      magical world that star has to be able to grant their wish, right?
      And 'fairest in the land' is a pretty standard one. So it's not
      surprising an ex-star would know how to do that.
      That said, the whole thing of letting Lucy misuse the spellbook
      and only intervening when she thinks about doing so again has always
      been one of my least favorite scenes in the book. I can try to
      rationalize Aslan's behavior, but in the end it always comes across
      as arbitrary to me. One of the reasons I can read the books as
      fantasy but not as allegory.

      --JDR
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic