      From: dbltall42
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:41 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Jackson Films

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

      In his review of the first film in the Times Literary
      > Supplement, Shippey wrote:

      >In scenes which owe a debt to horror tradition, but are
      > quite in keeping with the author's intentions, both Ian Holm as
      Bilbo and
      > Cate Blanchett as Galadriel turn momentarily into snarling and monstrous
      > caricatures of themselves, as the temptation of the Ring falls on them.

      But that's just exactly what he DIDN'T need to do. Cate Blanchett and
      Ian Holm are both ACTORS. If he'd simply let them ACT, and shown the
      temptation of corruption by facial expression and body language - a
      cruel and monstrous appearance - the films would have been so much
      better, IMHO.

      I have the same opinion about Theoden (is it even plausible that the
      Rohirrim believe Jackson's Theoden is in his right mind and fit to
      lead?) and especially about Gandalf and Saruman.
      He had Ian McKellan and Christopher Lee, for heaven's sake! Why
      couldn't he just have let them have a silent, mental battle - both
      actors are more than capable of putting that across in a dramatic way.
      It would have been much more satisfying to watch than all that kung fu
      nonsense.

      Mariette