19101Re: The Company They Keep-review

  • amsmith0903
    Nov 5, 2007
      Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
      is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
      Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
      (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
      one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
      seem hastily written.

      BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
      fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
      scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
      neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
      another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
      on one another.

      I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
      appendix. ;)

      Adam Smith
      www.tolkien-online.com
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic