19043Re: [mythsoc] Re: Silmarillion as beloved book of childhood

  • Walter Padgett
    Oct 23, 2007
      Wow. That's really heavy. That's the best thing I've read all day.

      Thanks for rendering so eloquently your profound appreciation.

      I especially like your observation of "the elegance of its convoluted
      web of cause and long-delayed effect."

      I feel that _The Silmarillion_ is like a fine wine, or maybe a fine
      esoteric blend of tobacco, or chese or something like that. First
      you've got to develop a taste for that, and then as your sensibilities
      become more refined your appreciation of it becomes more substantial.

      There seems something quite romantic about your experience with _The
      Silmarillion_ on that long deployment at sea.

      Wonderful.

      On 10/23/07, William Cloud Hicklin <solicitr@...> wrote:

      > Although my teeneaged self pre-ordered the Silmarillion
      > and even marked on the calendar the day I could
      > triumphantly collect it at Waldenbooks, and I loved it
      > from the start (unlike, I expect, many< I didn't then
      > fully apprecioate it. It took perhaps collegiate study
      > in both philosophy and Old English to enable deeper
      > levels of understanding.
      >
      > I think for a considerable time I valued the Sil as too
      > many still do: as mere backstory to The LR, the
      > Appendices extended, an infodump, a mine of trivia.
      > Substantial appreciation of its grandeur as a whole, of
      > the elegance of its convoluted web of cause and long-
      > delayed effect, of its powerful meditations on the nature
      > of Evil, really began to dawn when I read it on a long,
      > long deployment at sea in the Navy.
      >
      > Nowadays I don't believe the two can be ranked relative
      > to one another: they are simply too different. I suppose
      > that if one views The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien's 9th
      > Symphony, glorious, uplifting, at times ferocious,
      > inspiring, spiritual, but nonetheless 'popular'; then the
      > Sil is his Late Quartets: spare, un-'popular',
      > discursive, numinous in a manner harder to pin down,
      > uncompromisingly driven by its own unique internal
      > logic...and unfinished.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic