19028Re: Mystical Realms Newsletter for October, 2007

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Oct 19, 2007
      John, you just gave me a useful glimpse into how a scholar might stay
      on top of the massive pile of books that swarm at his feet... slipping
      a note inside, reminding you to look for a certain passage or element.
      I slap my own forehead and say, "Doh!"

      -- Lynn --

      > Thanks Jef; knowing it was in the Birzer book --which I have but have
      > not yet read-- is enough; I'll slip a note into the book reminding me
      > of the fact and be on the lookout for it when I do get around to
      > reading it.
      > Again, thanks for the follow-up. It's an interesting idea, and I
      > want to see how good a case Prof. Birzer makes for it.
      > --John R.
      >
      > On Oct 16, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Jef Murray wrote:
      >
      > > John,
      > >
      > > I am reasonably sure that my comments about
      > > Tolkien's elves being modeled, in part, after the
      > > Benedictines was mentioned by Professor Bradley J.
      > > Birzer in his "J. R. R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth:
      > > Understanding Middle-earth". In that book, as I
      > > recall, Prof. Birzer suggests that the Benedictines
      > > provided a model for the elves that would have been
      > > very familiar to Tolkien, and that the liturgical
      > > chanting of the Benedictines may have served as a
      > > model for the prominently-featured singing of the
      > > elves.
      > >
      > > I don't recollect without the book in my hands
      > > whether or not his comments were derived from JRRT's
      > > letters, but I should be able to find out. Will see
      > > about coming up with a page reference for you....
      > >
      > > Jef

      > > Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
      > > http://www.JefMurray.com

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic