19023Re: [mythsoc] Re: Mystical Realms Newsletter for October, 2007

  • John D Rateliff
    Oct 17, 2007
      Thanks Jef; knowing it was in the Birzer book --which I have but have
      not yet read-- is enough; I'll slip a note into the book reminding me
      of the fact and be on the lookout for it when I do get around to
      reading it.
      Again, thanks for the follow-up. It's an interesting idea, and I
      want to see how good a case Prof. Birzer makes for it.
      --John R.

      On Oct 16, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Jef Murray wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > I am reasonably sure that my comments about
      > Tolkien's elves being modeled, in part, after the
      > Benedictines was mentioned by Professor Bradley J.
      > Birzer in his "J. R. R. Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth:
      > Understanding Middle-earth". In that book, as I
      > recall, Prof. Birzer suggests that the Benedictines
      > provided a model for the elves that would have been
      > very familiar to Tolkien, and that the liturgical
      > chanting of the Benedictines may have served as a
      > model for the prominently-featured singing of the
      > elves.
      >
      > I don't recollect without the book in my hands
      > whether or not his comments were derived from JRRT's
      > letters, but I should be able to find out. Will see
      > about coming up with a page reference for you....
      >
      > Jef

      > Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
      > http://www.JefMurray.com

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic