19013Re: [mythsoc] Mystical Realms Newsletter for October, 2007

  • John D Rateliff
    Oct 13, 2007
      On Oct 4, 2007, at 5:48 AM, jef.murray wrote:
      > Tolkien's Elves were immortal, and so they were, as such, natural
      > guardians of history and wisdom. But Tolkien modeled these mythical
      > beings after the Benedictine monks of Europe. The western monastic
      > tradition, which began with the Rule of St. Benedict, spread
      > throughout Europe during the Dark Ages.

      I have never heard this theory before, of the Elves being modeled on
      medieval Xian monks. Can you point me towards a source? I shd have
      thought the Tuatha de Danaan a closer parallel than the Benedictines.
      --John R.
      (sorry to be slow in responding, but I've been away in the Midwest
      and am just starting to play catch-up on my email)