18948Re: The Inklings in NYC: A 5 week Discussion Series

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Sep 16, 2007
      Hey there,
      I inquired with the organizers if they intended to publish them and
      they said they were not, I know for ours, Jessica and myself, we will
      see if anyone is interested in them or put them in our own journal,
      for the rest of them I will keep mythsoc list updated as I find out
      from the rest of the presenters what they intend on doing with them.

      Anthony

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:

      > Any chance of getting a copy of these talks?
      >
      > Linda DeMars
      >
      > On 9/16/07, Anthony and Jessica <herenistarion@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The Inklings: A Discussion of the Literary and Theological
      Perspectives
      > > of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Owen Barfield
      > >
      > > Mondays, October 15, 22, 29, November 5, 12
      > > The Church of Saint Luke in the Fields
      > > 487 Hudson Street
      > > Greenwich Village, New York City
      > > 7-8:30pm Laughlin Hall
      > >
      > > C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Owen Barfield
      formed the
      > > nucleus of an informal literary society that flourished at the
      University
      > > of Oxford during the 1930s and ‘40s. Because of their shared
      interest in
      > > the weaving of Christian themes into works of fiction and poetry
      > > (particularly that with an emphasis on fantasy and myth), the
      > > Inklingsâ€"and
      > > their literary creationsâ€"were widely considered part of a
      magical world
      > > that continues to influence contemporary readers. The achievements of
      > > these four Inklings, as well as the work of some of their
      contemporaries,
      > > will be discussed.
      > >
      > > October 15 Inklings Series Introductory Talk
      > >
      > > Speaker: Anthony S Burdge
      > >
      > > Shards of Creativity: The Inklings, Subcreation and the Evolution
      of Human
      > > Consciousness (working title)
      > >
      > > Mr. Burdge is the Co-Chair of Heren Istarion: The Northeast Tolkien
      > > Society.
      > >
      > > October 22 J. R. R. Tolkien
      > >
      > > Speaker: Jessica Burke
      > >
      > > Ms. Burke is the Co-Chair of Heren Istarion: The Northeast Tolkien
      > > Society.
      > >
      > > October 29 Owen Barfield
      > >
      > > Speaker: The Rev. Dr. Christopher King
      > >
      > > November 5 Charles Williams
      > >
      > > Speaker: Kenneth E. Dupuy, M.A.
      > >
      > > Mr. Dupuy is Professor of Philosophy for Fordham College of Liberal
      > > Studies at Fordham University.
      > >
      > > November 12 C. S. Lewis
      > >
      > > Speaker: Kenneth E. Dupuy, M.A.
      > >
      > > DIRECTIONS:
      > > The Church of Saint Luke in the Fields is located at 487 Hudson
      Street, in
      > > Greenwich Village, New York City, at the intersection of Hudson
      Street and
      > > Grove Street.
      > >
      > > Parking Lot Information: Parking is available in the Church lot on
      Barrow
      > > Street between Hudson and Greenwich from 8 am until 1 pm. To map
      driving
      > > directions click here.
      > >
      > > By Subway: Take the 1 to the Christopher Street station, the 2 or
      3 to the
      > > 14th Street station, or the A, C, E, B, F or D to the West 4th Street
      > > station.
      > >
      > > >From Christopher street: Walk west on Christopher Street, away from
      > > Sheridan Square, towards the Hudson River. At Hudson Street, make
      a left.
      > > The church is one block to your left, on the west side of the street.
      > >
      > > >From 14th Street: Walk south on 7th Avenue to West 11th Street. Turn
      > > right
      > > on West 11th to Hudson. Turn left on Hudson and walk to Grove
      Street. The
      > > church is on the west side of the street.
      > >
      > > >From West 4th Street: Leave the station at the south (West 3rd
      Street)
      > > exit. Walk south on Sixth Avenue to Bleecker Street. Turn Right.
      Follow
      > > Bleecker across Seventh Avenue. At Grove Street, turn left. Follow
      Grove