18837Re: [mythsoc] Beowulf film

  • ChessQu654@aol.com
    Sep 3, 2007
      In a message dated 9/3/2007 1:51:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      then virtually _any_ Tolkien-related or Tolkien-inspired work, no
      matter how crappy, also qualifies as a felix peccatum, because those too
      have brought readers to the book.

      Hello,

      I've been an occassional lurker on this list because of both my crazy email
      prohibitive work schedule and my comparative inexperience to the majority of
      you who have spent many, many more hours studying Tolkien and Lewis than I have.
      BUT, here I will comment: a crappy Tolkien inspired work may drive more
      readers from the book than it wouls ever bring.

      As for my opinion on Jackson versus Tolkien, I had to see the movies having
      loved the books from childhood. Being home this summer post-knee surgery, I
      have been rereading the works and watching the extended DVDs with commentaries
      and appendices trying to sort out my personal ideas about the changes. My
      biggest regret is the negative impact the movie has had on my own imagination. I no
      longer picture the characters using my own imagination, but using the visions
      of Peter Jackson.

      I have reread the first book, then watched the movie with four sets of
      commentary and appendices. I have read the second book and watched the commentaries,
      and am watching the last disc of appendices. I reread book three already.
      It's become an obsessive goal to get through it all before returning to work. I
      am jealous of those of you who have manages to make a career of studying
      Tolkien, Lewis and literature. I wish knew that was possible when I was an
      undergrad. I might have abandoned the sciences for that!

      Best regards,
      Christine VanSaders